HEYYY!! Happy #MeatlessMonday once again from your For Home and Hearth girls! Today I’m gonna do a flash back to one of our first recipes we ever shared.. that I never got a picture of! Sweet Potato Tacos – vegetarian, GF, can be vegan if you omit the cheese! These babies are seriously SO GOOD I just can’t even explain it y’all – you’ll just have to try them for yourself ;)!
- 2-3 medium sweet potatoes, washed, peeled, chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt (more to taste)
- 1/2 pepper (more to taste)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1-2 tsp chili powder
- 2 cans black beans, warmed – rinse and drain then warm if you like, up to you!
- 1/2 yellow onion sliced, sautéed
- 2 ripe plantains
- corn tortillas
- lime slices (topping)
- queso fresco (for topping, omit for vegan)
- avocado (topping)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1-2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4-1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch of red pepper flakes, more to taste
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
Sauce: Place all ingredients in mini food processor or blender (or whatever it is you got!) and pulse until combined and desired texture. Can also mince ingredients, add spices then stir/whisk in wet ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a medium size bowl combine sweet potatoes, 1 Tbs olive oil, salt, pepper, paprika and chili powder. Toss to coat evenly. place on parchment lined baking sheet in one layer. Roast for 15-20 minutes until tender and crispy. Turn off oven but leave in oven to keep warm while finishing the rest of the meal.
- Warm beans in a sauce pan and then set to low to keep warm. Sauté onion over medium heat in small amount of oil until translucent with some nice brown spots.
- To fry plantains: First peal the plantains and cut into 1″ medallions. Heat 1/2″ of desired oil (vegetable, avocado, coconut, etc) over medium to medium high heat. Once warm, fry plantains for about two minutes on each side then remove to paper-line plate or drying rack over paper towels.
- smash the plantains with a cup or other utensil to about 1/2″ this or so. Then fry again for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove and set on drying rack or paper towel lines plate (note they may stick to paper towels). Salt with fine or coarse sea salt to taste. set aside.
- Warm corn tortillas in the oven, microwave, or on grill pan. Assemble tacos, making sure to top with LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of chimichurri sauce then ENJOY!!