Okay y’all! SUSHI at home is fun and affordable and SO DANG GOOD! I made this with imitation crab meat from the store.. yes I have tried real crab, no it is not the same.. I bet that is because most restaurants use imitation crab.. and I’m okay with it!! It would also taste great with tuna if that is more your style!
I’ll explain 4 types of rolls that I make using the same mixture and that’s part of the beauty here… you can make it the way you want it!!
This is fun to try for dinner at home or for a fun with friends night! Here’s the recipe!
Spicy Crab Rolls
Crab Mix Ingredients
- 1 package imitation crab, shredded
- 2 Tbs mayo
- 1 Tbs sriracha
- 1/4 cup thinly slice green onion
Other Sushi Ingredients
- Sushi rice (1 cup dry) – cooked to package instructions
- 2 Tbs rice vinegar (per 1 cup dry rice)
- seaweed sushi roll papers
Add-ins/Toppings(optional but encouraged!)
- Thin sliced cucumber
- Thin slice avocado
- Cooked Shrimp (I usually add this but didn’t this time!)
- Soy Sauce
- Prepare your rice to package instructions. If the package does not tell you to add in rice vinegar, then go ahead and add in about 2 Tbs of rice vinegar per cup of dry rice. (so if you made 1/2 cup dry rice, then add 1 Tbs or 2 cups then 4 Tbs)
- Combine all crab mix ingredients and set aside. If you cannot find shredded imitation crab you can pulse sticks in the blender until they have a shredded consistency. Just be careful not to pulse too much that you create a paste instead. You can use real crab but honestly it is not the same
- Now it’s time to assemble. Grab a seaweed wrap and place it on top of plastic wrap. If you have a bamboo sushi board then place the plastic wrap over the sushi board but if not then a cutting board or other solid surface will do.
- I always put the rice on the rough side, so place that side up and add your rice. Gently smash into an even layer, not too thick but not too thin. you shouldn’t be able to see the seaweed through the rice.
- Now if you like rice on the outside then flip it over, if you want your rice on the inside then keep it like this. I am a rice outside girl so I always flip.
- Add in your crab mix and cucumbers (or whatever else you want!) Then roll it up! Slice and serve! ***I didn’t get to take a video or great pictures of the this step so heres a video of one for you to watch!
*** I have found that when slicing sushi if you use a very sharp knife and wet it a bit the cut goes smoother! Also, make sure your knife stays clean!
Avocado Spicy Crab Roll
Add in thin sliced avocado on top of regular spicy crab roll. Use plastic wrap to gently press and squeeze roll so avocado will stick well. Slice and serve!
Copcat TNT Roll
Add only spicy crab mix (no cucumbers). cut your roll but keep it in a roll. transfer to aluminum foil and wrap up the roll. Broil in the oven for 5-6 minutes until inside warm. Serve with more sriracha on top!
Spicy crab mix on the inside, thin sliced avocado on top, top that with more spicy crab mix. Then use plastic wrap to gently press and squeeze to help roll keep it’s shape. Slice and place on aluminum foil. Then wrap into a packet. Place in broiler wrapped for 5 minutes, then unwrapped for two – serve with a drizzle of sriracha or spicy mayo or BOTH!
***You could also add some cooked shrimp to all of these and it would be awesome!! Make it your own y’all!