This recipe is… lemony… herby…delicious…beautiful…crave worthy goodness!! You make it all in a cast iron skillet which helps to make clean up quick and easy! This dish comes together quick and there is just something so comforting about it! We serve with with tzatziki sauce and a greek salad or another side veggie like asparagus.. or all of those things! Definitely add this to your regular family meal schedule!!
Greek Lemon Chicken & Rice
Original source: Recipetineats.com
Ingredients for marinade:
- 5-6 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs (can also use legs if you like but the thighs are where it’s at!)
- 3 Lemons, 2 zested and juiced, 1 sliced
- 1 Tbs dried oregano (I like to use ground but regular is fine!)
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
Ingredients for rice
- 2 Tbs olive oil, seperated
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 cup of basmati rice (or other long grain rice)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth/stock
- 3/4 cups water
- 1 Tbs ground oregano
- 1/2-1 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients for marinade in a ziplock back. Seal tightly and ensure that all ingredients combined and chicken coated evenly. Marinade overnight (8-12- 24 is even better!) if possible or at least for 2 hours
- Heat 1 Tbs of olive oil in cast iron skillet (or other oven proof pan) over medium to medium high heat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Once pan is hot, remove chicken from marinade but do not discard the marinade as you will add it to the rice later.
- Place chicken skin side down in hot skillet. Once brown then flip the chicken and brown on the other side. Once all sides have brown, remove chicken from skillet and set aside.
- CAREFULLY wipe the pan clean using a balled up paper towels, be sure to get the back bits.
- Optional step: with the pan wiped fairly clean you can brown some lemon slices for presentation later, this will also help to flavor the rice. Place lemon slices in the same skillet over medium to medium high heat and brown on both sides. remove from skillet and set aside
- Now start the rice. Heat remaining Tbs olive oil in skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until starting to brown/carmelize 8 minutes or so. Then add the rest of the rice ingredients. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil then place the chicken, skin side up, back into the pan.
- Cover and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes. Remove cover and continue to bake until all liquid is absorbed, about 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes. You can top it with fresh Italian parsley, lemon zest, and the brown lemon slices!
I also like to serve this with tzatziki sauce, greek salad and some roasted veggies BUT it is great all on its own!