Happy Saturday! I just wanted to post this Cheesy Potato Soup from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.
It’s made in the Instant Pot, so it comes together for a super quick dinner when your energy level is basically zero. (I have your back busy mommas) My husband loved that it had chicken and corn and he took it for lunch the following week!
I know it can be so tempting to go out to eat when you’re tired but listen closely- THIS IS SO MUCH CHEAPER. Avoid the quick fried food option. Cooking at home is better for your budget and the money you would use to tip your server, you can now use for wine or ice cream or whatever gives you a little pep in your step. You will even have leftovers for later in the week. You can do this!
Happy cooking, friends!
Instant Pot: Cheesy Potato Soup
Prep 15-20 mins∙ Cook 10 mins∙ Makes Yield: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 cups peeled potatoes cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 cups chicken broth, divided (meaning you’ll use 1 cup at first and the other 2 cups later)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 cups cooked, shredded or diced chicken (I used rotisserie chicken from Sam’s)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- Cooked Bacon or bacon bits
- Using the Saute function on the Instant Pot, heat the butter or oil.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the onions begin to soften.
- Add your chopped potatoes, 1 cup of broth, parsley, salt and pepper. Give the mixture a good stir.
- Secure the lid, make sure your valve is on sealing, select “manual” and set time for 4 minutes on high pressure.
- After cooking has finished, quick release the pressure
- In a blender, combine the cream cheese, flour, milk, and remaining 2 cups broth. Blend until smooth.
- Turn the Instant Pot to Saute again. Stir in the cream cheese/flour mixture (potatoes may break apart as you stir, that’s ok!)
- Continue stirring constantly, until the soup simmers and thickens. Maybe 5-10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- Add chopped chicken and frozen corn (if using) and heat through.
- Add chopped bacon or a package of bacon bits directly into the soup