This has been one of my vegetarian go to’s for the last year or so! The sauce has a Thai curry feel to it while at the same time being in a category all it’s own. Red Lentils are added to the sauce, which sounds strange at first, but trust me it totally works! I make the sauce with almond butter because I have a child with a possible peanut allergy but the sauce works great with any nut butter really – so experiment, make it your own!
I always serve this with basmati rice. I haven’t tried it but imagine it would also taste great with naan bread!
Not only is this dish delicious, but it only takes about 30 minutes total – definitely weeknight meal worthy! Hope you try it and enjoy – let us know what you think in the comments.
P.s. the original recipe for this came from veganricha.com – y’all if you love vegetarian/vegan cooking or you are simply trying to incorporate more vegetable centered meals into your meal planning – CHECK HER OUT! She has tons of creative, fun, delicious, healthy recipes!
Almond Butter Sauce w/ Lentils & Veggies
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 20-30 Source: Veganricha.com Skill: Easy
- 4-5 Tbs almond butter (or peanut butter)
- 2 inch piece of fresh ginger coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- zest 1 lime
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro • 2 to 3 teaspoons asian chili sauce
- 1/4 tsp or more cayenne, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp or more sugar
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 cup carrots, sliced
- 1-2 zucchini sliced
- 1-2 cups baby spinach or thin sliced kale
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil sliced
1. Place all sauce ingredients (almond butter down to coconut milk in list above) in blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If you don’t like things too spicy omit the cayenne pepper. Set aside.
2. Cook lentils in water or vegetable broth until tender but not falling apart. Drain if needed and set aside.
3. Heat coconut oil in skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook onions, carrots, and red bell pepper in pan until beginning to turn tender, about 4-5 minutes. Add zucchini and spinach or kale if using, let cook for 1-2 minutes more.
4. Add prepared sauce and lentils.Stir to combine. Bring to a boil (should happen quickly), then reduce heat to simmer for 3-4 minutes until lentils are cooked to preference. Taste, adjust salt to taste.
5. Serve warm with basmati rice (or cauliflower rice if you prefer grain free!)
* Original recipe from VeganRicha.com – Peanut Sauce Lentils